- 15 Apr 2021
Like glamor modeling, lingerie modeling is a large segment of the modeling industry. But it is much more than modeling in a short dress. Read on to find out how to succeed as a bikini and lingerie model.
What is a Lingerie Model?
A lingerie model is one that poses in lingerie, bikini, or underwear for various brands. Some of the most well-known lingerie brands include Victoria's Secret, Agent Provocateur, La Perla, and Wonderbra. While some brands have strict requirements, others are far more relaxed - it all depends on their target audience.
What Are the Requirements for Lingerie Modelling?
Lingerie modeling requirements vary from brand to brand. Victoria's Secret is very popular and they have very strict requirements for their models, which all have to reach a certain height and most have a lower body fat percentage. Her 'angels' (catwalk models) are all considered supermodels and many young women aspire to this level of success. However, it is a very difficult brand to be accepted and the competition is fierce.
For other brands with a more relaxed outlook, the model should have nice and proportioned figures and attractive faces. Male underwear models require a certain amount of muscle, while female lingerie models must have the least amount of fat. The size of an hourglass is usually desired; Many brands also prefer a good bust size to show their female models a bra set. The curves show lingerie well, so a short waist and peach butts are always positive.
Other things to consider are:
- Maintaining hair (no visible roots or split ends)
- Looking after hands and feet (mani and pedi’s)
- No habitual bruises, burns, or scars
Other traits, such as piercings and tattoos, consider entirely on the brand you are working with. Some brands (e.g. alternative brands) may prefer models with large visible tattoos and body modifications. Others may prefer a more natural look.
Height is not of huge importance unless you are looking to become a runway model.
What are the Top Models of Victoria's Secret Angels?
Victoria's Secret Angel is often considered one of the best lingerie models in the world. You will probably recognize many of them as they become the most household names on the cover of Vogue.
Famous VS models include:
- Candice Swanepoel
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
- Adriana Lima
- Tyra Banks
- Alessandra Ambrosio
- Romé Streege
- Gigi Hadid
- Bella Hadid
- Jasmine tools
How Does Lingerie Modelling Work?
Lingerie modeling is similar to common forms of modeling. Models clearly have to be very comfortable wearing short dresses and they have to pose in different ways to do regular modeling. A model can be said to look attractive on camera.
Swimwear shots can be taken on the beach, while lingerie shots can be taken in a bedroom (or on a set that is designed to look like a bedroom).
How Much Do Lingerie Models Get Paid?
Like all models, lingerie models will be unlikely when they are first debuted. As their popularity increases and they become more in demand, they will see their payments increase.
Top models working with Victorious Secret can make thousands for a single image or show.
How Do Models Prepare for the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show?
All of the models chosen to walk at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show are naturally tall and slim, but they all do a lot of work during the lead-up to a show.
A lingerie model eats well and does a lot of work throughout the year to maintain her figure and keep her skin and hair healthy. All of this will be led by an important photo shoot or runway show.
VS models typically work up to 4 times a week, but they will extend this to every day. They work with personal trainers, so they have a workout plan to tone muscles and elongated limbs in their unique body shape. They need to build all the muscles in the form of a VS wing which they wear during the show are notorious.
VS Models will also consult a nutritionist to obtain an individual eating plan. It would avoid all junk food and behave on the lead-up to the show. The VS model has famously stated that they get burgers and pizza after the show is completed as part of a diet after a lot of hard work and hard work.
Celebrity Lingerie Models & Brand Owners:
Lingerie is a category in which celebrities may have created brands.
- Dancer von Tesse, a dancer, has a famous range of her own.
- Singer Rihanna has also created her own line which is known as Savage X Fenty. She has become a highly influential lingerie model by herself and regularly promotes body positivity in her images and shows.
- Kim Kardashian created 'Skims'.
- Heidi Klum contains id Heidi Klum Intimates.
- Ashley Graham made her own line with Edition Ale.
- Elle Macpherson has 'Elle Macpherson Intimates'.
Staying Safe As a Lingerie Model:
While it is important that all models remain safe, it is important that lingerie models know specifically how to protect themselves.
A model should never be forced into a situation that makes them feel uncomfortable. It is therefore very important that an underwear model connects to the right agency that protects and supports all of its signed models.
If a model is ever contacted online it is important that the model does some research to verify whether the offeror contract is valid. Never follow links sent by strangers, nor phone numbers, or email addresses sent by you. Instead, the company conducts research on the person who claims to have used an official listed email or number.
If you are ever unsure, do not work with someone you cannot verify. A real company or person will always be more than happy to point you in the right direction for their proper credibility.
Unfortunately, the lingerie industry attracts a lot of scam artists and it is the model's responsibility to ensure that it never endangers itself. Always read the contract thoroughly and do your research. Even the world's top lingerie models should ensure their safety, not just beginners.
How Do I Get Into Lingerie Modelling?:
Like all forms of modeling, lingerie models will find the most work by joining an agency.
You should research agencies that work with lingerie brands and who specialize in working with underwear models. You can apply to as many agencies as you want.
You should also use social media, especially Instagram (many models also use Twitter as a way to communicate with fans). Some models, such as Alexis Ren, became famous purely because of social media. It is a time-consuming tool, but can eventually lead to work, fans, and money.
Fashion is a difficult and challenging industry to enter, so it requires a lot of patience and perseverance to succeed. Make sure you have a great portfolio to showcase your skills and experience as a model.
If you are just starting out and have yet to gain any experience, it is a good idea to book a professional photoshoot. Not only will you gain experience in front of the camera but you will also be able to purchase your favorite images for inclusion in your portfolio. A model's portfolio is similar to their CV and they will carry it with them to any brand and agency interview. Therefore it is very important that the portfolio is professional and stands out from the competition.
In short, here are the main things a lingerie model should do:
– Feel confident. An underwear model should feel confident in their skin and it should come on camera.
- Work on their body. As your body will be on display, you should eat well and do regular workouts.
- Work on your skin and hair. You should keep a good skincare routine for your face, but don't forget your body skin - keep it smooth and hydrated.
- Practice posing. You do not have clothes to hide behind, so make sure you know your best angles.
What to Bring to a Casting:
If you are accepted to casting a brand or agency, there are some important things that you should keep with you:
- Naked G-string. You will probably be asked to pose in sample underwear so that they can see your figure. You probably won't be the first to try this set, so bring a nude G-string to wear down for hygiene purposes. Make sure it is not too tight as you do not want it to leave any visible lines.
- You can learn how to travel a waxer or shave your underarm and your bikini area. The neck is required to be smooth from the bottom for most models, so make sure you check the requirements of the brand before casting.
- Learn to do your own make-up. If you have scratches or underwear bags, learn to cover them with a concealer.
- There are constant fluctuations in size. This can be from weight loss/gain, illness, stress, or hormones. You need to check your size every 6 months and update your modeling information so that the brands update your size.
- A tampon or menstrual cup is important for female models because you will need to pose in underwear or swimwear during your period. Apparently, pads are out of the question as they appear, so make sure you have some tampons or a menstrual cup at all times.
"Interested models click here to further information modelling profession."