- 17 Jul 2020
8 Steps to Self-Recorded Success
What is a self-recorded? A self-Recorded is an audition that you have filmed yourself at home.
Once filmed, you send your self-recorded footage in to the casting professional either by uploading it to a website (the casting director will indicate this on the breakdown or audition notice), or by sending the footage directly to the casting professional via email.
Feel the fear and do it anyway Treat your self-recorded like a real audition (because it is) and practice ahead of time. Once you have a useable take, send it off! Many actors don't send in auditions because they didn't get it just right. You're already a step ahead of them by sending in your audition. Give it all you got in two or three takes and choose your best take. Trust yourself and be confident!
Follow instructions Most self-recorded requests come with very specific instructions from the casting office – some with very strong warnings that if even one small step is overlooked the tape will be automatically rejected.
These instructions cover things like lighting, framing, sound, file names, and your reader. It's extremely important you read and follow all instructions for taping and sending. Triple check them. You don't want your audition to be eliminated for a silly reason.
8 things to consider when filming a self-recorded at home:
- Learn your lines.Get a friend to read to read the other lines viavideo call if necessary (but not too loudly, you're the star of thisshow).
- Dress appropriately for the character.This will help you get in to character and show the casting professional that you understand the role.
- Film against a plain background.You don't want anything to distract from your beautiful face.
- Keep background noise to a minimum.Make sure the casting professional can hear you loud and clear.
- Film in landscape.Like YouTube, not portrait like Instagram Stories.
- Light yourself properly.Natural light is best, as you don't want any shadows across your face.
- Shoot a mid-close shot from your chest to the top of your head.Unless instructed otherwise.
- Send to the casting professional via a file sharing serviceDon't send big files over email.
Keen to give it a go? Check out our lastest listings and start applying!